And here we are, continuing on with the third of five installments recapping my favorite photos from 2012. My picks for the third quarter of the year include only one from my home state of Connecticut. The rest were taken in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania – and two involved heritage units. I guess I gave away one of those shots with this post’s thumbnail to the left. Read on to find out what the other heritage unit is that I photographed – and, no, it’s not a Norfolk Southern unit either.
During the three months of July, August and September, I had to travel to New Jersey for work a couple times. And out of those trips came the majority of my favorite photos from Quarter 3 of 2012. One was just after sunrise of a New Jersey Transit commuter train at Bound Brook station under some very beautiful skies, and another just after sunset of an eastbound Norfolk Southern in eastern Pennsylvania. The other heritage unit, beyond the Norfolk Southern Penn Central unit, was one of the MetroNorth New Haven painted Genesis locomotives on a commuter train along the Hudson River. The last two shots were a night shot at PU Tower in Phillipsburg, NJ on the Lehigh Line, and the only shot representing “home rails” for me – Providence & Worcester train NR-2 with a loaded rail train at MP8 in Preston, CT. So scroll on down and check out this quarter’s half dozen picks.
- Bound Brook Sunrise An eastbound NJ Transit commuter train departs Bound Brook station heading for Newark Penn under a cloud-littered sunrise.
- I02 Sunset Norfolk Southern train I02 rolls eastbound through Alburtus, PA just after sunset.
- Heritage along the Hudson CDOT New Haven painted P32AC-DM #231 powers a MetroNorth train southbound along the Hudson River near Bear Mountain, NY, as a pair of boats enjoy the last weekend of August.
- Penn Central detail A detailed look at the Norfolk Southern Penn Central heritage unit at Manville, NJ
- Freight at PU Tower A westbound Norfolk Southern freight train passes by PU Tower in Phillipsburg, NJ on the Lehigh Line
- Rails on Rails Providence & Worcester train NR-2 hauls a loaded rail train north on the P&W's Norwich Branch through Preston, CT